We briefly covered how to get press for your project in the Handbook Promotion section. This page will elaborate on how to go about securing press for your project:
- Once you have identified which journalist will be right for your campaign, you can usually find an email address for a journalist on their Twitter page.
- Maintain a spreadsheet of contact details for journalists and bloggers you want to reach out to during your campaign.
- Keep your pitch simple, clear and to the point. 2-3 paragraphs is a good structure. Talk about who you are, the problem and how your product is the right solution. Attach high-quality photographs of the product as well as a demo or campaign video. Also, mention who is available for an interview and when would the feature be useful.
- Avoid using press agencies to pitch your idea. Journalists like to hear directly from founders.
- Reach out to journalists or bloggers on Twitter before you pitch anything with a simple hello, or reference to one of their pieces that you like. Journalists work best with strong relationships and recommendations.
- Don't be pushy. Journalists are bombarded with pitches all day, every day. Be considerate of their time.