From the age of five, Michael Jackson set out to create something special and he accomplished this in spectacular fashion. Defying the laws of physics with his electrifying moves, tapping into vocal falsettos at an age that many deemed impossible, making a difference to humanitarian causes through art and fame and creating an incredible global status that pinned his career on top of the music industry (despite being the first black artist) are only a few of his achievements.
Though Michael Jackson’s life was muffled by many personal life challenges, he maintained his status as a man on a mission and created excellence in everything that he put his mind to. He was an inspiring and iconic personality who was determined to heal the world and I have pulled 10 lessons from Michael Jackson’s life that we all can use to reach the top:
1. “The greatest education in the world is watching the masters at work.”
Many artists look up to Michael Jackson as their source of inspiration, be it in the field of music, dance, art, poetry, expression, business or philanthropy but what many missed was that he spent his whole life studying the masters that had come before him. Frank Sinatra, Charlie Chaplin, James Brown and Elizabeth Taylor are only a few names that he looked up to as mentors. Michael was known to have their video recordings on repeat across his house in order to mimic their work of art.
Look at the leaders in your field and study their work and lives to make the most of their lessons.
2. Be a perfectionist. “I’m never pleased with anything, I’m a perfectionist, it’s part of who I am.”
Michael never missed a detail, his eyes paid attention to the interior and exterior of every product, it’s why his work always sold in millions and nothing less. It’s important to understand how smaller elements make the foundation for bigger products in order to strive towards perfection, this is something Michael lived by.
3. “The meaning of life is contained in every single expression of life. It is present in the infinity of forms and phenomena that exist in all of creation.”
Focus on the tiny particles that you breathe in each day and then use that same principle in all of your work. Appreciating the little details in your life will propel your desire to maintain a healthy outlook on everything that you do.
4. “When all life is seen as divine, everyone grows wings.”
Be undeniably uplifted by your surrounding creations.
5. “I’m really very self-confident when it comes to my work. When I take on a project, I believe in it 100%. I really put my soul into it. I’d die for it. That’s how I am.”
They say that every ladder to success is built on hard work and dedication. Michael Jackson exemplified this. He used to disappear within his work as he was so drawn to success. Every work of art that he produced was built on hours and hours of hard work. Play hard yes but work even harder.
6. “Take in something that’s gonna inspire you to do greater things in the world.”
Surrounding yourself with people and things that bring out the best in you is literally the greatest thing that you can do for yourself. Feeling inspired and motivated is something that we need to constantly acquire to achieve greatness.
7. “Just doing as well as you did last time is not good enough.”
Many great entrepreneurs will tell you this, there is an upward hill that you have to keep climbing and excelling in but the sky is not your limit. Keep moving and keep striving to improve and better yourself and your work.
8. “Often people just don’t see what I see. They have too much doubt. You can’t do your best when you’re doubting yourself. If you don’t believe in yourself, who will?”
There will be times when you are overshadowed by your doubts – it happens to the best of us so don’t worry! What you must not do is let those doubts keep you from tapping into your pool of inspiration to uplift your confidence – this is why number six is imperative!
9. “In the end, the most important thing is to be true to yourself and those you love and work hard. I mean, work like there’s no tomorrow. Train. Strive. I mean, really train and cultivate your talent to the highest degree. Be the best at what you do. Get to know more about your field than anybody alive. Use the tools of your trade, if it’s books or a floor to dance on or a body of water to swim in. Whatever it is, it’s yours.”
If you are truly passionate about something then you must work hard to become the best at it. If someone had to pick one person to do the job, make sure that you are the person that they pick and that too without a shadow of doubt. If you really realllly want it, you can really have it – just go for it.
10. “I believe we are powerful, but we don’t use our minds to full capacity. Your mind is powerful enough to help you attain whatever you want.”
A simple mindset can lead to life-altering results. Your mind is an exceptional tool, use it to pave your way.